Saturday, August 6, 2011

Where do I begin?

The amount of missed calls and voicemails from Peter was beginning to pile up.


I sat opposite Erin on the foot of my bed. A numerous bunch of junk food wrappers lay between us. I held a slice of hawaiian pizza in my hand. I hadn't bothered to put on mascara in the past few days, I knew it would only just go runny.
The TV that had been moved into my room sat in the corner. Erin picked up the remote and flicked the channel to Wipeout Canada.
"Hey, Sonny? How much money would you pay me if I went on this show?" Erin poked me with her chocolate covered pretzel.
I shrugged. "Um.. A lot?"
"Pshh," Erin huffed, "I would need at least your work salary for the next year."
I sighed. "Erin, I don't have a job."
Erin made a gesture with her hand to suggest that she didn't care. "Get one, then." I watched with my eyes glazed over as Erin's hand dove back into the chocolatey pretzel bag.
I turned my head to the TV. Wipeout Canada was still playing. I kept my eyes glued as an older woman, possibly a mother, slipped off of a big red bouncy ball and bellyflopped into the water below. I winced. Wipeout Canada began to bore me as more and more people fell into the water.

My thoughts resembled a whirlwind inside my brain. I was a million miles away from Erin, Wipeout Canada, and all the un-comforting junk food that I was always eating. I felt a muffled jab in the side of my ribcage. I jerked back to the present, only to find Erin yelling at me.
"SONALI BETH! SO-NAAAAL-EE!" Erin stood up and started bouncing on the bed, causing me to tip over, before she realized that I was paying attention.
"Oh." She came to a halt and slowly folded her legs beneath her once more.

"Erin.." I paused. I wanted to tell her. She was the closest person I had. "Did you know that Peter is moving away?" My voice sounded unfamiliar and distant, even to myself.
Erin's mouth dropped. "WAIT UP. You're telling me that... Peter has the balls to get his things and MOVE?"
I shook my head, "Erin, it's not his fault.. If you could just list--" But it was too late.
Erin had already bounced off the bed and was dialing his number from my cell. I could only imagine how horrified I looked at the moment. "ERIN NO!"

Erin only held up her hand to shush me. There was 10 seconds of silence so slow that I could barely take it. But finally, Erin began to talk into the receiver. Well, not so much talking, more like yelling. I couldn't here Peter's side of the conversation, but Erin's side sounded something like this:
"Peter?"
"You are an unimaginable bastard."
"Don't 'please' me, Peter, you need to be nicer to my sister. If I hear more about you 'moving' away, you know what I'll do."

Erin slammed the cellphone shut.

"All better." Erin smiled.
But I had a vague feeling in my stomach that nothing was better at all.

-Sonny

1 comment:

  1. i do not mean to sound rude BUT>>>>>
    your blog seems really sad and pointless(I REALLY HOPE I DO NOT SOUND LIKE A TOTAL JERK!)
    could U make it more happy? because u have some great writing talent, but-
    like this blog!
    http://rebecca-rebeccaslife.blogspot.com/2010/07/hi-this-is-my-new-blog.html

    ReplyDelete