Wednesday, September 14, 2011

The Homework Table

Crisp but gentle autumn air rolls through the open window and chills our bare arms. Gathered round the kitchen table, nine sisters race to finish their homework. Kirsten sits at one end and Ruthie at the other. On the other two sides, seating is arranged by age. Next to Kirsten is Julia, then Elizabeth and Felicity. Over next to Ruthie is Kit, then Chrissa, myself, and Erin.
I have a hard time concentrating on square roots and equations. Erin nudges me and whispers, "Have you called Peter yet?"
I indicate no with the ever-so-slightest shift of my head.
Erin frowns, and Chrissa breaks the silence by loudly asking Kirsten whether you spell you're with or without an apostrophe.
My brain groans as I think of the pile of homework beckoning me to finish it after I finish math. I HATE square roots. They appear useless to me. I would much rather be up in my room, enjoying the solitude and peace. But as family homework sessions are mandatory in this house, I sit through them politely as to not hurt Ruthie's feelings. Ruthie did come up with the idea, after all.

A month had passed since Erin sent the un-necessary phone call to Peter. He had moved to California two weeks after. I wouldn't have noticed he was gone if it weren't for Annabeth, texting me every day to taunt me. The absence of Peter's calls weighed a burden on my shoulders. I had taken for granted that he would not give up on me. What if he has? What if he's pressing his lips upon a sunbleached Cali girl's at this very moment? The thought haunted me.

Many of my sisters turn to the open kitchen window and sigh. Half of us would die to be outside on the tree swings, or watering the last flowers of the summer. Ruthie realizes this and sends us all outside with a wave of her hand. "Yipee!"'s and "Woooohoooo!"'s are shared around the table. Chairs screech as they are pushed back and the side door clicks open as everyone bounces outside to enjoy the fresh air.

There are now only two people left in the kitchen. Myself and Julia. I silently get up from my chair and open the fridge to find a bottle of Vitamin Water. Julia follows me with her grey eyes that so similarly resemble the grey rain that falls in spring.
"You're wallowing." She accuses me.
I turn from the fridge so quickly that I hear a snap in my neck. Ignoring it, I taunt back, "How would you know? You're gone out too much to care."
Julia rolls her eyes. "Honestly, Sonali? You pity yourself too much."
I feel a million retorts building up in my brain. I'm full to the brim with indignation and hurt. But instead of slamming Julia with an insult, I slump back down in my chair and sigh.
"Never hurts to admit it." Julia murmurs, with a look of smug amusement on her face.
"I'd rather not, thanks. If you're just here to make fun of me, don't waste your time." I refuse to meet Julia's eyes. I just squint hard at the label of my Vitamin Water.

"Fine." Julia pushes her chair back from the table and picks up her binder with obvious carelessness. "Just know that Peter is on a plane home right now."

-Sonali

1 comment:

  1. Ooh, my heart skipped a beat at the end! I wonder what is going to happen next ;)

    ReplyDelete