Saturday, September 24, 2011

The New Guy In Town

Peter flies home from California and welcomes Sonali into his loving arms.
Everyone claps and smiles as Sonali and Peter embrace.
And they all live happily ever after in a big house with gingerbread trim and a garden full of cute little gnomes and flowers.

Just kidding.
Nothing ever happens like that.

Following Julia's announcemount of Peter's return, my mind remained surprisingly alert. I sat in silence, contemplating my choices. I could either:
a) Run to Peter's house and fall on my knees begging for forgiveness
b) Wait for him to come to me
c) Forget him

After due consideration, I decided upon Choice A: He's the one that deserved an apology, not me!
Before I could change my own mind, I wrapped myself in a scarf and pea coat. I flew out the front door and down the steps, past the neighbors garden, down the street, past another street, and then ANOTHER street.. past Annabeth's street.. finally, Peter's street. My stomach was churning but I couldn't back down now. I came to a halt outside of Peter's house. Wait, was this even Peter's house? I shook my head in confusion. The house appeared familiar, and the house number was correct. But the paint and trim were different colors from last time.. I shrugged my shoulders and rung the doorbell urgently.
I waited in dead silence until the door slowly wedged open. Peter!
But the face in the door did not belong to Peter, his mother, his father, or any of his sisters or brothers. The face in the door belonged to a stranger. An old woman hobbling on a cane. Panic set in.
"Uhm", I gasped, "Wrong house! I'm so sorry!"
And before the old woman could reply or even grunt, I ran off.

Where else could he be?
Annabeth's?
Bridget's?
Bridget's boyfriend's?
An inn?
Right. His aunt owned the local inn!

I set my feet in the right direction, and off I went. Past more groups of houses. McDonald's. KFC. The mall. The corner store. More houses. Tim Horton's. Keep moving, I told myself, you're almost there.
I arrived at my destination. A bright sign on the side of the house-like building read "Captain's Inn". I didn't hesitate. I burst into the lobby. A woman that resembled Peter's mother in many ways smiled at me from behind the desk. I took the time to smile back before turning in to the Inn Restaurant.

So cliche, I thought, it's like I'm living in a romance movie.
Of course, there was Peter. Sitting at the table next to the window, accompanied by two brothers. The ghost of a smile was etched upon his face.
My heart wasn't stopping or even skipping a beat. It didn't even gain pace. It just kept beating. I was quite calm and at peace, standing there looking at Peter.

I approached the table.
"Hi."

-Sonali

No comments:

Post a Comment