Monday, September 6, 2010

Back To School, Buddies

Apparently March comes in like a lion, and out like a lamb.. but what about, say, September? What does September come in like?
I say, September comes in like the first firework on New Year's Eve. You're waiting there, in the bone-chilling cold, for the dang fireworks, and the minutes tick by and the sky stays clear. You go buy a hot dog from one of the few vendors that even try to make sales on this pre-holiday night. You come back and watch the sky a little more. Still no fireworks. You finally decide it must not be going ahead, and turn around to head home, and then ... BOOM! The first firework comes in like a brainwhack and you're totally shocked.

Yup, that's September for ya...

........................................................

"Welcome, students, to another year of learning and academics!" Ms. Appal gestured her arm to the rest of the room, as if welcoming us.
I jiggled my leg. I was impatient.
Spanish class had just started and I was dying for it to end already. Spanish was my last period of the day and I just had to get to Glee Club. I was just dying, I tell you.

I was prodded in the small of my back by the back of a pencil. I slowly turned around to make my actions un-noticeable by Ms. Appal, to find Bridget staring at me with a challenging, & playful look on her face.

"Wanna walk with me to Glee after this class?" She whispered.
"Uh.. you bet!" I said, then gave a smile, to show I was willing. She grinned back, a sparkling white grin that left me feeling sorry for my own teeth.

The bell finally rang, and I put away my papers and my Spanish textbook (lets just say it was the size of a bible) into my navy Aeropostale messenger bag. I turned to the desk behind me, but Bridget was already at the door.
"Lets go!" She said, urgently.
I followed her out and we walk-ran down the halls, trying to avoid trouble but trying to get to Glee on time.

We walked into the classroom just as everyone was sitting down.
I breathed a sigh of relief and sat in a plastic desk chair next to a girl in jeans and UGGs (and a Hollister hoodie) with her head stuck in the last Percy Jackson book, and Bridget.

Suddenly the room of teens went quiet as Ms. Pike's click-clack footsteps neared the classroom.
"Good afternoon, class!"
"Good afternoon, Ms. Pike." We said back.
"This is the first day of school, and the start to a great year." She smiled. "But our start was a bit late this year, so we will get down to work immediately!"

Everyone groaned. Ms. Pike laughed, because we all knew we didn't really hate Glee Club work. We were all just as excited as her to do it all.

"Alright.." Ms. Pike went through her clipboard sheets. "Our theme for Sectionals is Fame."

Everyone hooted. I looked at Bridget and we shared an excited look. Fame?! Cool!

"The selection will include three songs. A group number, a very heart-warming solo, and a duet." The hooting got louder. "And no, its not a romantic duet."

Annabeth, as I realized her in the room for the first time, looked disappointed when Ms. Pike said that. The bad Sonali inside my head snickered. Who was she wishing to do a romantic duet with? I wondered.

I searched the room, and then found Annabeth's eyes resting on Peter. Peter smiled at her.

I swallowed my own spit, then looked up to see Ms. Pike looking at me.

"Will you do it then, Sonali?" She said.
"What..?" I said.
"I asked you a question." She said sourly.
"Uh, then I guess my answer is yes?" I felt bad for not listening.

Ms. Pike's sour smile instantly turned into a rainbow grin. "YES! Okay! Alright Sonali, you'll be doing the solo!"

-Sonali

2 comments:

  1. YESSSSS!!!

    Sorry, I probably sounded like Medusa or something with those snakey hissing 's's, but that's irrelevant.

    You got a solo, Sonali. You got a solo. Not only did you get a solo, but the duet isn't a romantic duet *cough*Annabeth*cough* and the theme is fame. Well, you know how I feel about fame, so I'll spare you the fifty-page-long essay, but La La Land is a good song, you know. Demi Lovato might not be the best singer, but the song has an awesome message and would sound amazing coming from Sonali. Hint, hint... just kidding. Maybe.

    ~ Ashley

    Hey, it's Emmalee. Ignore Ashley. Sing anything you want.

    ~ Emmalee

    ReplyDelete
  2. You want a sneek peek at the songs, Ashley? ;)

    Three hints:

    The group number is from a musical.
    The solo is a song by Kelly Clarkson that I got stuck in Emmalee's head once. :D
    And the duet is a Lady GaGa song that we used for our first music video ever!

    -Grace

    ReplyDelete