Thursday, September 23, 2010

Walking With Bridget

Walking to school with Bridget was fun. At least, it was as much fun as my mind allowed me to have. Of course it wasn't nice to see all the upturned trees and the damaged houses from the hurricane - but besides that I loved to see the leaves falling to the ground, and the smell of autumn in the air.

But, wait, I totally forgot why I HATE Autumn.
Aha, just kidding.
How could I forget why I *HATE* autumn?!
Well, you all know already.
You know very well. I hope..

"Is something bothering you?" Bridget poked me in the rib.
I laughed half heartedly. "Nope! .. Everythings fine!" I lied with fake enthusiasm.
"Okay!" Bridget brightened, and she took my hand and we skipped like little schoolgirls to the brick building of the junior high, laughing the whole way.
But every laugh had a little nagging voice inside of me - each laugh made the voice louder and louder. "Don't abandon Bethie!" the voice screamed inside of me. "Imagine everything she's done for you!" It told me. My skips faltered as I listened to the voices inside of my head. "No!" I told the voices. "Bethie is gone.. she.. she.. she's forgotten about me."

"Uh, Sonny?" Bridget had to stop and poke me again. "You're talking to yourself." She reminded me.
"Oh, right.." I said, giving an apologetic smile. "Its a bad habit of mine - sorry."

-Sonali

1 comment: