Thursday, August 5, 2010

The Fact Is...

"Um.. we could play darts?" Felicity suggested.

"Too dull." Julia groaned.

"...Uh, how about Monopoly?" Elizabeth said.

"I hate Monopoly." Kit winced.

"Well, what about a lemonade stand?" Kirsten spoke.

"Too classic!" Erin said.

"Fine, fine, FINE! We could watch a movie?" Chrissa gasped, exasperated.

"I can't sit still through movies." Felicity and Kit said in unison.

We were all sitting there, sprawled out in the living room, in the sticky heat. It was a violent heat. Not the sort of heat you could enjoy, or sunbathe in. It was a cruel heat, a harsh warmth, the sort of heat that makes your hair stick together in strands and your layered tanktops melt into ONE tank top.

I know, ick.
And the worst thing is, all we could hear is laughs and squeals of delight from the festival down the road, which Grace had abandoned us to go to.

"We're just as important! Why can't we go, too?!" Chrissa shrieked.
"Because we AREN'T as important, Chris." Erin patted Chrissa's back.

"We should be just as important." Lissie growled.
I watched them all bicker and banter from my spot on the couch. My black-brown hair fell in stringy clumps all around my face. Cheeks flushed, I lay back and groaned.


We all fell silent as we let the reality of it all sink in.


The fact is, Erin was right.
-Sonali

No comments:

Post a Comment