Friday, August 27, 2010

Rainy Day, Go Away

"Click faster! CLICK FASTER!" Kit chanted.

I clicked the link.

Suddenly, YouTube filled the page. It was a video by AG2Elizabeths. Elizabeth was walking around with her chin up because she felt proud that her name was in the username.

I sighed.
A video started. I looked at the title and gasped.
"Um, Elizabeth?" I squeaked. She stopped her little graceful walk in its tracks and slowly made her way to the group of sisters crowded around the laptop.

Felicity was making a choking sound. "It can't be.."
Kirsten was looking at Felicity with round, sad eyes. She seemed far away, even though she was standing next to us.
The video kept playing.
To make it worse, the video has sad music playing in the background.
Oh god.

"... Its true, AG confirmed it!" The video was saying, in bold white letters on black. "Felicity and Elizabeth will be RETIRING THIS YEAR!!!"

That was all it took for Elizabeth to burst into tears.
I paused the video and turned to see all my sisters in a big group hug around Lissie & Liz. Lissie still hadn't said anything. She was standing, frozen, in the middle of the hug. Liz was apparently milking it, she was crying and hugging everyone in turn.
But she still was actually sad, of course.

Lissie moved away from the crowd of sisters, and walked up to me, who was still at the front of the laptop.
"Um, Nali?" Lissie whispered. A gave her a brief hug and said, "Yes?".

"Can you click that link?" She said softly. You could hear the pain she was trying to fight in her voice.

I looked to where she was pointing. Below the video, in the description box, was a link to the AG website, which apparently confirmed the facts of the video to be true.

I nodded and clicked the link cautiously.
A new page opened.


There it was.
That sickly little heart that they use everytime they retire a doll, to make it look more "friendly". Yeah, right.

"Soon, we'll say farewell to Felicity" it said.


-Sonali

5 comments:

  1. Curse you heart!!! my sister is Felicity but she dosen't know about this yet. though she will be devastated. man, i hate that heart

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am currently hating AG.

    Somehow, they manage to retire-- in ORDER-- every single Historical girl I've loved the most in my life. First Samantha. Then Kirsten. And now Felicity. I say girl and not doll because they have personalities that tell girls today how to shine brighter than the sun in a time of materialism and mistakes that have damaged the current economy possibly beyond repair.

    So go on, American Girl. Go and make another shining character disappear into the murky past. Take away a story of the founding of our country. But know that there are thousands of people that wish to tear that sickly sweet heart right out of your website right this second.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's EVERY year.
    Those were amazing dolls.
    Those were Pleasant Rowland's amazing dolls.
    Mattel breaks apart a girl's wishlist.
    No not just one. Thousand's.
    They retire this dolls just for a huge money making business.
    I HATE MATTEL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yesterday in the car my mother and I had a long talk about why AG would do this. We went back and forth about the money-making idea, and it makes sense from their end. From our end......... It sucks. I love Felicity and Elizabeth, and they have been there since I first started looking at AG six or seven years ago. These dolls are precious, and don't deserve to have this happen to them. They don't deserve to have people buy hundreds of them and sell them on ebay for thousands. It. Isn't. Fair. People who would love and cherish these dolls should get them. People with girls, or nieces, or granddaughters, goddaughters. AG just wants money. When I first read that I almost cried. No, I don't have Felicity or Elizabeth, but they are some of those precious historical dolls. I can't believe how much that company is changing. I only have historicals, and though I will buy JLY clothes every once in a while, I have decided that I will NEVER buy a JLY because the historical dolls deserve to be bought. They are being shunned to the side, and even archived. Between my sister and I, we have four dolls. Three are mine, one is hers. Three of our four have been archived. Sam, Nellie and Kirsten. Our beloved dolls, who on Christmas morning we ran downstairs, our eyes fixed immediately on that long, thin box where we just knew the doll we wanted was. THOSE were the dolls we wanted, those amazing historical dolls with personalities, friends, and families. My sister got her Sam twelve years ago. I got Nellie six years ago, Kirsten four. These dolls had no right to be lost. What hurts me is that Kirsten never got a movie. Never got a friend even. Why do this without even trying? Without even trying to make her sell more, bringing in a friend for her? Sam had a movie. Felicity has a movie. Molly has a movie. Kit has a movie. They all had friends too.

    Sorry for the rant-y comment, I had to let off some steam...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh. My. God. I'm a doll and this just makes so mad that AG has decided to retire yet another doll. It makes me sick to be a doll from their company right now. Everybody knows that if Pleasant Rowland was still in charge, she wouldn't have retired all the Historical AG's because she actually cared about us. :(

    -Claire

    ReplyDelete