Monday, August 9, 2010

Summer's almost over?

Ruthie stood in front of all of us, holding the calendar in front of herself.
"Here we are now," Ruthie pointed to a circled date on the calendar from behind. It was today's date. "And here is the beginning of school." She flipped the page of the calendar and set her finger on another circled date. Her finger made a satisfying 'tap' sound against the firm paper.

Kit sat on the ouch in silence. We all turned towards her, waiting for her to calculate. Ruthie smiled gently.
"Thats only 32 days!" She claimed.
We all gasped.

32 days?
That was fast.
Wow.

Just..wow.
In 32 days, we'd be starting school again.
And me? I'd be starting Glee Club.

"Hello, anyone in there?" Julia poked my side again. "I called your name 5 times." She was sitting next to me on the sofa.
"Oh, sorry." I frowned. "I guess I zoned out."
"Anyway," She said.. "Do you wanna go school supply shopping with me?" A hopeful smile spread across her face.
"Sure!" I grinned. I loved to shop for school supplies. The smell of them, and the excitement that came with them, it was all fun. My stomach always tingles with butterflies of excitement when I shop for school supplies. Well, no, thats an understatement. The butterflies in my stomach are of excitement, yes, but also anxiety, worry, doubt, wonder. A lot of things.

But --
oops.
My butterflies just turned to sadness.
Because I remembered.

*flashback*
Sonali: *on the phone with Bethie* Beth, yknow what?
Beth: What?!
Sonali: We should fly to meet somewhere just to go back to school supply shopping together.
Beth: And pick out new clothes for school, too! OOH, and maybe some pipe cleaners so we can make our own Lady GaGa costumes!
Sonali: ...Um, maybe not that. But back-to-school clothes, for sure!
Beth: Promise?
Sonali: I promise. :)


*end of flashback*

Bethie.
Oh, Bethie.

:(

-Sonali

No comments:

Post a Comment