Sunday, October 10, 2010

Longest post known to man.

We all sat there, backstage.
All was silent but the muted sound of the amazing Faithful Forte performing on stage, less than 15 feet away from where we sat frigidly on creamy couches.

Faithful Forte was amazing.
I shuddered loudly and greatly as Bethie's piercing voice chilled the whole audience. I couldn't stand it. I just couldn't.
Bridget's warm hand rubbed my shoulder. "Is anything wrong, Sonny? I know you'll do amazing. You always do."
I smiled. Bridget made me happy.
But just not like Bethie had made me happy, every single day we were together, every single time I heard her cheerful voice type me to words in an email.

Suddenly, everything was happening too fast. Both other Glee Clubs had performed, and I was being pushed onstage by the helping hands of my clubmates. I couldn't believe this was happening. Was I about to do this? Really? REALLY?

Ms. Pike came over and shook my shoulder. "Sonali Beth," She said sullenly. "I know you're not in the best position right now, but I believe in you. You will do amazing. You need to help out your Glee Club. Not only do I believe in you, so do they."
I looked around at the anxious bunch. We were all standing behind the red curtain, waiting for Faithful Forte to file offstage to their outstanding applause. I saw Peter grinning at me. He winked, just like the first time I sang for the Glee Club in Annabeth's living room. Then I saw Annabeth. She gave a cold little smile. I appreciated it, as miserable as I felt. Then I saw Bridget, and she gave me a goofy little wave. I smiled. I was ready.

The curtain rose. Showtime.


My mind was screaming at me. It shrieked, JUMP! SING! TWIRL! RUN! CENTER STAGE! But then it all quieted down. It became second nature. I remembered all the times I had sung into my hairbrush. It all came naturally.
We all gathered into our semicircle. The Fame played, Annabeth stunned us all. As I twirled in Peter's arms for a half-beat, I caught a slanted blur of Elizabeth and her sisters sitting in the audience. All of them. It was just like when Bella saw Edward's family for the first time in a year, in the book Twilight. I was so relieved to see my second family - it was just like chocolate ice cream with a cherry on top.

Somehow, The Fame turned into a different song. We were starting another number. MY number. MY solo.
I panicked.
Suddenly no one was on the stage but me.
Suddenly, the song I was singing was all that meant to me.

"I'll spread my wings and I'll learn how to fly, I'll do what it takes, till I touch the sky."
Images of Bethie, flashes of Peter and the glee club, memories of Annabeth's bullying, remembering my days at the factory, it all went past my brain in a blur. This song meant me. It was me. I had to sing it right.
At the end, the Glee Club appeared on stage and I gave a little bow. The crowd went wild.
Our final song, from the original musical Fame! started to play.


We were almost about to launch into it with our whole full voices when --

"WAIT!" Two young girls yelled in unison from the audience. The music faded out and stopped. The girls ran up to the stage. The Glee Club's mouths dropped. What was happening?

"SONALI!" A red haired girl cried. She pushed her way through the sea of knees and faces to get up the stage stairs and ran into my arms.
A girl with stormy grey eyes and brown curls ran after her.
"Whats happening!? I'm in the middle of Sectionals!" I whispered furiously at Erin. Bethie sat in the audience, and was looking intently upon what was happening.

"I have to tell you something! NOW!!!!" Erin whispered louder.
I hushed her.
Ruthie stepped in. "We do have something to tell you, Sonali. Listen to us, please."
This was not MY sister Ruthie. This was Bethie's sister Ruthie. What did she have to do with this?

I stepped back as Erin and Ruthie turned and faced the audience.

"People, people..." Erin hushed the excited audience. "We have something to say."

"Elizabeth Clara Cole, please step out of the audience and come onstage." Ruthie called out.
I was stunned. Erin brought me forward.
"Bethie, please stand beside Sonali Beth." Ruthie said formally.
We looked at each other. We couldn't understand.

"Ruthie and I have made a mistake." Erin started. "We have pulled these two apart. Elizabeth and Sonali have been best friends since forever started. We were both brutally jealous and tried to tear apart two BFFs that are like peanut butter and jelly. Ruthie, is not Elizabeth's best friend, Sonali. And Elizabeth, Annabeth is not Sonali's best friend. Make sense?"
Ruthie stood by and nodded at Erin's words.

Bethie turned to me.
"Sonny? Will you reply to my emails now?" She said weakly.
I burst out laughing.
"Yes, Bethie!" I cried.
We hugged. The audience "awww"ed.


"Bethie?" I whispered into her ear.
"Yes, best friend?" Bethie laugh-sobbed back.
"Lets sing together." I said.
Bethie nodded, understanding.


I started off.
"Remember, remember remember.."
Bethie came in with the background vocals.
"Oh, oh...... ohhh, oh..... oh, oh....."

We motioned for our Glee clubs and the Louisiana Glee Club to join in.
It was peaceful.
I had my best friend back.




Happy thanksgiving.
-Sonali

7 comments:

  1. I'm so happy for you both <3
    ~R.A.S. and S.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY! Bethie and Sonali, possibly the greatest friendship ever, IS BACK! My sisters and I are very happy for you both. :)

    -Claire

    ReplyDelete
  3. AWWWW! I'm so happy for both you and Bethie! :D
    Just goes to show that it will take more than a simple distance to split two soul sisters. :3
    I love you guys. You and Beth are simply the best BFF's out there. Period. No ands ifs or buts. :3
    -Emma

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! This blog put me up for joyful tears! :D You and Beth are the greatest best friends forever! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. AWWW!!! I am so happy to see that you and Beth as best friends again.

    I wish I had a best-friendship like yours. You two are the best BFFs that the world will ever know. And don't you forget it.

    -Claire

    ReplyDelete