Thursday, July 22, 2010

Anna-beth

Felicity smiled at me. "C'mon, Sonny! You're no fun. Just try one little piece?"

I pushed away the plate of dried cranberries and got up to answer the door, happy to have an excuse to get away from Felicity's never-ending "boredom cure" (as she calls it).

I opened the door to find Annabeth. Again. Yes, again.


I had just realized this morning that the name Annabeth is made up of two names -- Anna and Beth. Anna-Beth. Annabeth. UGH. Please go away, god forsaken coincidences. And go away, Annabeth. I don't want to talk to you.

But thats not what I told her. I told Annabeth a polite "hello" and ushered her inside with a grim frown. Kirsten's face lit up as she saw Annabeth walk through the entrance to the living room. She got up from her knitting and exchanged a hug. I rolled my eyes, careful to make sure nobody saw me do it.

"Hello, Kirsten!" Annabeth grinned. "Hello, Sonali." She said a little less enthusiastically as she turned towards me.
I returned the mood.
"I'm here to ask Sonali if she'd like to come bowling with the Glee Club this Friday?" Annabeth's smile was warm as butter. Kirsten was obviously buying it.

I nodded. No matter what Annabeth did, I couldn't disobey her. I needed a reputation for Glee.
Kirsten grinned. "Yes, please! Take her away!" She laughed at her own joke.

"Great!" Annabeth said. "See you soon, Ms. Larson!" She skipped away to the front door, me following closely behind. I was about to close the door after her when she suddenly came back and got close.

"I'm not inviting you because I want to, Sonali. I'm inviting you because I have to. And I hope to see your absence from Glee at the beginning of the school year."

Annabeth's fake smile returned in a nanosecond, as if nothing happened, and she backed away and left. Actually left.


Kay then.

-Sonali

1 comment: