Wednesday, July 7, 2010

What HAS been going on?

"Sonali, I want to know whats been going on."

Ruthie pressed down on me with her questions.
I fidgeted.
"Put that book down!" Ruthie snatched Bluestar's Prophecy from my hands and laid it down beside her on the couch. "I want to know why you're even more depressed than usual." Ruthie repeated.

"Bethie doesn't need me anymore, okay?! I have no purpose in life." And with that, I took my book back, and bent my head down in it so Ruthie couldn't see the tears escaping my eyes.
Immediately Ruthie's eyes softened.

"Aww, Nali." She scooched closer. "Theres always a purpose in life." She put her arm over my shoulder and sighed.
"No there isn't!" I sobbed.
"I just know, I truly do know, that Bethie hasn't abandoned you." She soothed.
"How do you know!" My cry was muffled by the now wet pages of my novel.
"I was on the phone with Rebecca the other day." She paused to make sure I was listening.
I was. She had me at the word 'Rebecca'.
"She was telling me about Bethie's habits." Ruthie went on. "She hinted at the fact that maybe Sonali didn't like Bethie anymore, and I said 'No no no. That's impossible!' right away." Ruthie shook her head sadly.
"But Rebecca didn't believe it. 'Yknow, Ruthie, Bethie thinks Sonali ditched her for Annabeth.' Rebecca was saying." Ruthie kept on going. "And I said --"

"STOP!" I said, standing up. My book fluttered to the floor. Ruthie's eyes were in dismay. "I know this is just to make me feel better! But I personally, truly, don't appreciate the lies, Ruthie. Sometimes lies may be the polite thing to do, but right now the truth is awfully better, as much as it hurts."

I stomped away.


Elizabeth would be proud of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment