Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Annabeth Strikes

I sat in my chair awkwardly, watching Annabeth's mother pour me some juice. Annabeth sat opposite me, hands folded on the lace doily. She didn't say a word.

"If you girls need anything, I'm in the sewing room, okay?" Mrs. Rollins called as she trotted up the stairs. I still wondered how Mrs. Rollins had all this free time to create Annabeth costumes - even in the summer, when Glee wasn't happening! I grimaced.

Annabeth suddenly turned in her seat to look at me straight-on.

This was reminding me of my "chat" with Erin way too much. Waaaay too much.

Annabeth smiled sweetly (and fakely).
"Look, Sonali..." She patted my hand from across the table. "We're not all set out to sing, right?" She smiled at me.
I was taken aback. Was she trying to tell me something?

She went on, "You're good, but not good enough, y'know? You can go far, but just not far enough to cross the border line?"
I understood completely.
I nodded, up and down, 3 times. Fast.
"Maybe you should.. leave Glee Club, if its not meant to be? I mean, you just, wouldn't be in pitch with the rest of the group. Its not a bad thing or anything, we just can't have you in it if you're not worth it, when we can be giving the spot to someone fresh, and young, and talented..." Annabeth got a fiery look in her eyes that made me scoot my chair back.

"I, I understand. Completely. Yup. Understood." I gulped. I stood up. "I should.. go." And then I ran out of the house, praying Mrs. Rollins wouldn't think I were rude.

If I had looked back, I would have seen Annabeth, smirking viciously.

-Sonali

No comments:

Post a Comment