Sunday, July 25, 2010

Soda Pop, Soda Pop

A car honked in the driveway. "Sonali, c'mon, lets go!" A guy popped his head out the backseat window and yelled up to me.

I grabbed my purse from the hook and sprinted out the door, my thoughts and nerves whizzing about in my brain like soda pop fizz. I quickly grabbed open the car door and got in. My emotions slowed when Annabeth shot me a stiff smile, but for the heck of it I threw back my head, laughed, and said, "Lets go!".

And with that, Annabeth's mother speeded off to the bowling alley with 10 kids crowded into her van.

The bowling alley was having Glow-In-The-Dark Friday, and my white Avril Lavigne tour shirt glowed immediately. The guys started shoving each other and pointing out to their glowing high-top laces or shirts. The girls giggled as they watched the bowling alley manager set up our game stats.

10 minutes later, we were all laughing so hard that the manager shot us looks. Bridgette was in the lead with 130 points, she was trying her hand at bowling for the first time but seemed like a pro already. On her heels was Peter, with 124. Then there was Annabeth, with a grim smirk on her face. (I had a feeling she wasn't having the best time.) Then there was James, Michael, Taylor, god, I can't remember half their names.. oh, and then there's me. Felicity's taught me a few things about bowling.

"Sonny, its your turn! Go go go!" Taylor squealed, pushing me to the front. I turned around to smile at her, then took the bowling ball (It was blue! Yes, BLUE! Yay!) from Stephen, and turned back to the lane, glowing in all its glory.

Suddenly I was flying through the air, tripping over my own feet.. wait, I wasn't tripping over my own feet! As I fell to the floor, I glanced behind me to see a neon pink high-top pulling away. Annabeth! But I didn't have much time to think, as my face fell flat against the floor. The bowling ball dropped out of my hand, rolled down the alley and knocked down all 5 pins. I smiled weakly, but I really was in much too shock to care.

"Oh my gosh, Sonali, are you okay?" Taylor, Abby, Bridgette, and Quin were lining up behind me. Bridgette bent down and helped me up. "Are you okay?!" She cried. I nodded. I really wasn't hurt. I was just shocked. I dusted off my corduroy slacks and glanced around to see Peter staring, his eyes full of concern. I looked away quickly and asked for my next ball.

My scores were quickly moving up the chart. I found myself next to Peter and Bridgette in the standings. I was flustered. But finally someone cried, "I'm hungry! We should go buy snacks.", and soon enough we were all seated, feasting on golden brown fries (which probably is bad, I don't think foods are supposed to be golden brown), soda pop, and Dorito chips. I was happy and content, here with people of my kind. Maybe not all of these people were depressed psycho's with un-naturally beautiful blondes as their BFFs, but thats okay with me. I needed a night of relaxation. I was just about to get up for some more ketchup when a seeping cold spread down the front of my shirt. I looked down to see I was drenched in nothing other than grape soda. I shuddered as I realized Annabeth was staring at me with satisfaction and evil hunger for power. I also realized she had "spilled" this soda on me. Ugggggh.
"Let me help you with that."
I heard a voice from beside me and was shocked to see Peter sitting there, napkin in his hand. He rubbed the purple stains from the front of my shirt. "This is going to need a wash.." He muttered. "Aha." He smiled contentedly as he rubbed. "You like Avril Lavigne?"
"Yes.. like, a lot." I blushed.
He nodded. "So do I. Although most guys just think I'm stupid for liking girl singers."
I shook my head vigorously. "No, no, I mean, that's true, I mean, its true that girl singers are awesome.. I mean, you're not stupid." It all came out in a blur.
He laughed. His laugh was like vanilla smoke.
"Well, it looks like its my turn to bowl!" He laid down the dirty napkin and got up to do his round. I gazed after him, then realized I was staring and suddenly looked down at the floor.

Peter picked up the bowling ball.. I blinked as I realized he was about to throw it incorrectly.
"Um, Peter, your fingers should be more spread.. and please, position your arm like this.. I really don't think you should bend your elbow back like that." I said, pulling his arm back to reveal a beautiful, proper posture. I stood back and admired my work.

But then I realized he was grinning at me.
And then it hit me.

"Oh my god, I'm so sorry! I didn't mean to.. I didn't.. I didn't want to correct you, its just, I have bowling.." My words trailed off.

He was smiling at me.
His smile was perfect.
His eyes were sparkling.

Oh. My. God.

"...instinct." I finished my sentence weakly.

Then I ran off.

-Sonali

2 comments:

  1. Ohhh... Sonali(:
    Haha! Sounds like you had fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohh la la! ;)
    Sounds like you had a great time, a great time you greatly deserve :D
    -Emma

    ReplyDelete