Monday, June 14, 2010

Spotlight IS on me.... :O

I sat behind the mirror, my stomach doing somersaults.
This was really happening.
I was about to sing in front of Emma's family, Bethie's family (which consists of 11 dolls, might I remind you), MY family... I had been dreaming about proving to my family that I had a purpose for so many nights, I had imagined myself opening the curtain and introducing myself in grandeur, in a beautiful dress that was never forgotten.

But I couldn't get myself to move an inch, squeak a word, sing a line. Nothing.

"Sonny! Time to shine!" Bethie cried, rushing in and fussing with my hair. I sat there in front of the mirror, not moving. I couldn't.
"Ahh, I see." Bethie cooed. "Its okay, I was this nervous before my first performance. But you'll love it, I promise!" She heard Ruthie calling then made a final tug with my hair and hurried off, calling, "Toodles! I have to go now, but I know you'll do great!" She blew an air kiss then hurried off to her seat.
I gulped.

Finally I took a good look at myself in the mirror. I looked as if I had just come straight out of a Glee performance. Seriously.




I twirled a piece of my hair, going over the song in my mind.
It took a lot of courage, but I finally stood up, convinced that I was ready.

I swished open the red curtains. I faced an audience of people who I had dreamed and dreamed of showing that I could sing. A dose of energy flared in my chest and I suddenly couldn't wait to start.
"Hi, hello, hey." I waved feebly, barely gripping the mike. "I'm Sonali, and this is my performance for my beautiful sister Ruthie's Award Show." At this I gestured to the now blushing Ruthie. "I hope you enjoy!" And with that, I turned around, back to the audience. The beginning notes began to play.

"I am in love, with what we are... not what we should be. And I am, I am starstruck, with every part of this whole story. So if its just tonight, the animal inside, let it live and die! Like its the end of time, like everything inside, let it live and die!"

Animal by Ke$ha blared on the speakers. It was dramatic. Suspenseful.

I spun. I did the best dancing I could, I'm not that strong of a dancer. But I think I got the message across to the audience.

"This is our last chance, give me your hands, cause our world is spinning at the speed of light! The night is fading, heart is racing..."
I grinned at Bethie. She was pumping her fist in the air. It was everything I hoped it would be.

Liz was staring at me though my head was on fire. I bet she WISHED my head were on fire right then. Because I had just won.

I hit the last notes. The audience burst into applause. But it was too much for me. I ran off the stage blushing and ran into my room and locked the door.
How could I have thought that I was being 'professional'? That was so embarrassing. They probably thought I was a little kid who thought I could make it big time. I hid my face in my pillow.

There was a knock on my door.
"Sonali's not here." I said, muffled by the pillow.
"Its me." Emma gently opened the door, closed it behind her, and sat down beside me on the bed. She smiled.
I lifted my head and frowned. "Have you come to tell me Liz should have sang?"
"Haha, you're funny." Emma shook her head, laughing. "You were amazing, Sonny. They loved you! I can't believe you didn't soak it in. Whenever I perform, I make the most of it. Get back out there. They want to see you."
Before I could respond, Emma has pushed me through the door and was propelling me to the stage. I was rubbing my eyes, wondering what was happening, so I didn't notice a woman coming up to me and accidentally bumped into her.
"Sonali!" Ms. Pike smiled.
"Uh oh..." I said under my breath.
"Uh oh? Not so! You were wonderful." Ms. Pike beamed.
I blushed and tried to hide behind Em. She moved before I could hide my face in her shoulder. She winked at me and left.
"Um..." I fidgeted. "Why are you here, Ms. Pike?"
"I came to see what the buzz was about. And after hearing you sing, I have made a last-minute decision. I want you to join the Glee Club." She grinned so wide I swear it was like an elastic band stretching around a basketball [a basketball that was much prettier and sweeter and better at singing - do basketballs sing, anyway?!].

-Sonali

3 comments:

  1. :o
    I KNEW IT.
    I TOLD YOU.
    ~Bethie~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Soanli! It must have gone so well! :D
    Oh my, I LOVE your dress! Where did you get it? (You can reply on YT)

    I'm glad you got in to the Glee club!
    I bet you'll have so much fun! Congrats!

    -Jess & Lexii

    ReplyDelete
  3. YES!
    Sonny, you deserve to be in Glee Club.
    And I'm super glad Mrs. Pike finally saw that. :3
    -Emma

    ReplyDelete