Saturday, June 12, 2010

Spotlight On Me? Think Again.

I stood there, my mouth gaping open as Elizabeth showed Ruthie her whole presentation on 'Why Sonali Should Not Sing At The Awards'.

I wouldn't have originally been so surprised. But I was surprised because Liz's presentation has good reason.
"Sonali is the one in the AGMA." Elizabeth was saying. "She is in Grace's YouTube background, she is Grace's YouTube icon, and she has the most photos of herself on Flickr. She has a blog, and everyone adores her. Why should she be able to sing, too? She has loads of spotlight already." Liz sent me a nasty smirk as she said the last line.
Ruthie fidgeted. She was obviously seeing some sense in Elizabeth's presentation. I frowned and walked away silently to my room. I needed to be alone.

Was it true? Was I actually stealing the spotlight? Because if I was, I never realized it. Was I the star of the family? I had eventually had enough sense to realize I was one of Grace's favorite dolls - but I never thought I was a star, in that way. Elizabeth's speech took me by total surprise and sent me into a state of shock.

But I shook my head to clear my brain. I needed to sing at the Awards. The very thought of belting out a song in front of an audience in Ruthie's honour made my body shudder with excitement. I was not going to let Elizabeth steal that chance from me, the chance to prove to my family that I wasn't dull and that I had a purpose.
But .... but.... but how? How could I stop Liz?


Later that day Erin, Gracelynne, Emma, Bethie, and the two Kit's had found out of Elizabeth's evil plan. I could tell that some of them were agreeing with her words in their minds, even though they couldn't admit it out loud. But I could deal with that later. Right now, all I wanted to do was be able to sing.
"So first.. this is what you do, Grace..." The Kit's were going over a plan with us. We all nodded vigorously and got ready for the first step of action. I rushed off to Kristy's room that she shared with Liz. I searched the desk. It had to be there... it had to be there... I had to believe that. Finally, my hands came across the list I'd been looking for: Kristy's Pure Torture List.

I handed it to the Kit's and they raced to Ruthie's room. They laid the list on her bedside table, and my sister Kit used a very accurate imitation of Kirsten's voice to draw Ruthie's attention to her room.
Soon after, Ruthie was in her room reading the list, unaware of us watching, and when we were convinced Ruthie understood what the list meant, we tiptoed off. Bethie took Liz and Kristy's cellphones out of their room and laid Elizabeth's right next to where she sat on the living room couch, and then Kristy's cellphone right next to where she sat at the kitchen table.

Kristy spied her cellphone first, and quickly was talking to Liz about her Pure Torture List and Pure Torture Plan. Little did they know, there were baby monitors in both rooms, transmitting all the things they said to a baby monitor set up in Ruthie's room, where she was still reading the list, letting it all soak in.

"So how is the plan going, Kristy?" Liz said, giggling.
"Oh, fine fine... Did you get Ruthie to give you the performance?"
"YES!" Liz squealed.
I flinched.
"Next thing to do is fill Bethie's stomach with sugar and pop, and get her to spill some dirt on Sonali -- and make sure you record it. Remember, this is just in case Ruthie decides to give Sonny the performance AGAIN... that way you can depress Sonali enough so she won't be able to perform." Kristy snickered.
"Okay, okay - gotta go. I think I hear Ruthie coming." Liz said, and quickly hung up.

No comments:

Post a Comment