Saturday, June 19, 2010

Monster

The house was silent.
Kit was sitting in on the couch, her hand under her chin, deep in thought.
Ruthie stood in the middle of the room, looking around.
Kirsten and Julia sat beside each other on an opposite couch, staring at nothing, hands folded on their laps.
Felicity sat criss-cross-applesauce with Erin and Chrissa on the rug.
I hugged my knees on the lazy chair.
Elizabeth looked out the window at the other end of the room.

All was quiet.

"Um.." Ruthie started. "So I guess..."
But thats where her sentence ended. We all knew what was silencing us all, but nobody wanted to say it.

Kit stood up. "I have.. to walk the dog." And then she slowly left, clicked Grace's leash to her collar and hurried away.
"I have orange cookies to wash." Felicity blurted, then ran away.
"Y-y-yeah, I gotta scrub the family peacock." Chrissa said, then grabbed Erin's hand and they skipped away sadly. Is it possible, to skip sadly? Whatever.

Everyone left, one by one, until it was only me and Elizabeth, at opposite ends of the room. Elizabeth refused to turn away from the window. She put her hands up to the glass and I swear I saw a tear trickle down her cheek.
"What have I become, Sonali?" She said quietly, voice full of sorrow and regret.
"I..I don't know." I said. I got up gently, and tip toed over to Liz's chair next to the window. I sat down beside her awkwardly. "Um..." I mumbled.
"I'm so sorry, Sonali." Liz said. "I just.. I don't.. " She put her head in her hands. Tears trickled down her cheeks.
"Its okay. Its all good." I hugged her.

No comments:

Post a Comment