Friday, May 7, 2010

Eavesdropping

I was sitting in the living room trying my hand at sewing (yes, it was a fail!) when I heard Elizabeth talking on the phone to Kristy as if no one else was in the room.

"Oh.. ohmahgosh Kristy you would totally LOVE my dress for the awards - YES, ITS PINK!! And sparkly!! I was like, "oh my goodness really Ruthie?!" when I saw it ... but I think it needs a bit more sparkle.." For the most of the conversation I wasn't paying attention. Nothing but the usual.

"Sonali? No, no, no, her in a dress?! Don't even think about it." Elizabeth was giggling into the phone. I winced.
Kristy obviously said some nasty remark, because Elizabeth threw back her head and laughed and said: "That black skin! She'll never be able to be a model with that nasty color that makes her look like she's got into the chocolate fountain.. bahaha!"

I bit back tears. I had never experienced severe teasing on the color of my skin.
And to top it off, Elizabeth added in a low voice.. "She pulls that innocent act just so she gets sweet attention from the rest of the sisters. Without that awful tale she spins about Bethie, she'd be a loner. Wait, she already is!" And that set off a spurt of giggles from Liz and a burst of laughter from the reciever.

That was enough. I couldn't hold it in anymore.
I threw down my failure of a sewing project and ran out of the room. Erin was there waiting for me in my room. Turns out she had been listening in on the other phone to the conversation. She gave me a hug and sat beside me while I sobbed. Why did you give me this terrible color of skin? This ugly face? The tangled hair? Why, God?

-Sonali

4 comments:

  1. Oh, Sonali.
    You are so beautiful! I would love to have skin like you!
    Don't listen to those girls. They're either jealous, or have a personality disorder.
    (hugs)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sonali Beth Lynne Matthews! Do NOT ever say that about yourself. EVER. You're beautiful, and you always will be. You're beautiful because you're unique. Nobody else in your family has chocolate colored skin, which is just beautiful. Nobody else in your family has dark ocean-like waves for hair, which is brilliant.
    And no matter what they say about you, know that you'll be an amazing model and that you'll beast the AGMA. Don't listen to them. Don't listen to them for one second.
    ~Bethie~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh...That's absolutely terrible. That's worse than terrible. That's downright morbid.
    Who could EVER say something like that? It's not the color of our skin that makes us who we are, but our hearts.
    As someone once said "People are like chocolate. No matter if you are white chocolate, milk chocolate, or dark chocolate, all chocolate is good."
    And Sonali, a chocolate fountain is the best form of chocolate there is.
    -Emma

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Sonali, that is just terrible. That is the worst thing I have ever heard a doll ever say in my life. Even though you may not be Kristy and ELizabeth's favorite doll, they certaintly did not have to say that. Sonali, you have goregous waves hair that fall down your shoulders. Your chocolate colored skin is beautiful and makes me JEALOUS. And my owner Ashley thinks your type of face mold is the cutest and prettiest. She was also debating over getting you. Neve rever listen to Kristy and Elizabeth. They are jealous of you. J-E-A-L-O-U-S. Go spell it out to them. :)

    ReplyDelete